Mecum Auctions’ first time holding a collector-car auction in Las Vegas was an undeniable success as 557 vehicles changed hands in just three auction days, Nov. 16-18, and total auction sales soared to $22 million. Offering collector cars in the City of Lights was long on Mecum’s to-do list, and the warm reception from the great city along with the auction’s subsequent strong sales results verified the veracity of the auction house’s predicted success.
Bidder and spectator turnout were excellent, and the healthy hammer prices achieved among the top 10 sales and beyond served as a testament to that interest. Two 1968 Chevrolet Yenko Camaros topped all sales in Vegas with the first (Lot S73), from the Les Quam Collection, selling for an incredible $600,000. Fewer than 20 of the original 64 1968 Yenko Camaros prepared by Yenko Chevrolet are known to exist today, and this highly awarded Fathom Blue example boasts a place among them. The other Yenko (Lot S268), an RS/SS version, is one of just 11 Rally Sport Yenko Camaros built, and presenting fresh from a full restoration, the Matador Red Camaro demanded a $450,000 sale price. Two 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429 Fastbacks (Lots F141 and S176) also landed among top sales as each gaveled for $200,000, and a one-owner, 514-mile 2006 Ford GT (Lot S74) claimed the third highest sale price at $290,000.
The complete top 10 sales at the Las Vegas 2017 auction include (individual prices do not include buyer’s premiums):
- 1968 Chevrolet Yenko Camaro (Lot S73) at $600,000
- 1968 Chevrolet Yenko Camaro RS/SS (Lot S268) at $450,000
- 2006 Ford GT (Lot S74) at $290,000
- 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429 Fastback (Lot F141) at $200,000
- 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429 Fastback (Lot S176) at $200,000
- 1932 Packard 902 Eight Roadster Coupe (Lot S90.1) at $164,000
- 1958 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible (Lot S55) at $160,000
- 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air Resto Mod (Lot S221) at $151,000
- 1967 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe (Lot S130) at $145,000
- 1963 Chevrolet Corvette Split Window Coupe (Lot S127) at $135,000
For access to complete auction results, sign up for the free InfoNet service offered at Mecum.com. Mecum’s next collector-car auction is this Nov. 30 through Dec. 2 in Kansas City, Missouri, featuring an estimated 700 collector cars, followed by the return of the world’s largest collector-car auction this Jan. 5-14 in Kissimmee, Florida, featuring 3,000 vehicles including some of the most iconic drag cars in existence, more than a dozen celebrated private collections and more. For more details on upcoming auctions, to consign a vehicle or to register as a bidder, visit Mecum.com or call (262) 275-5050.
# # #
427/450 HP, 4-Speed (Lot S268)